The New England Patriots and the New York Giants were the two teams that, at the beginning of the playoffs, I did not want to see in the Super Bowl. But, alas, this is our matchup. I don’t hate many NFL teams, but the Giants and Pats are in the top 5 least likable for me. (Rounding out the top 5 are the Raiders, Chargers, and Steelers). I hate this Super Bowl so much that I almost didn’t write about it. I may forgo the watching of the game, and instead be productive with this list from my friend Scotty. Below are 5 reasons I don’t want either team to win:
1. If the Giants win, people will say that Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning because Eli will have more rings. Even though everyone knows this is a dumb thing to say, it will be all over SportsCenter for weeks, and I don’t think I can handle that.
2. I’m really tired of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.
3. Professional sports are more about “getting hot at the right time” than “being the best team.” Although, as a Spurs fan, this has served me well in the past, it becomes annoying when it’s not in my favor.
4. Fake storylines people come up with to try to give their team an advantage. Saying things like “Nobody believes in us” and “Brady wants to win a ring on Peyton’s home turf” are outrageous. Nobody is better at this than Bill Simmons, who has written a whole column about it here.
5. When the headlines on ESPN are about Peyton Manning’s continued neck healing updates and Josh Hamilton relapsing ON THE DAY BEFORE THE SUPER BOWL, you know it’s going to be a good game. (Please note the sarcasm)
All of this being said, I do have a prediction for this game. I’m not happy with it, but it has to be done.
Giants 34, Patriots 31
What is your prediction for the game? Are you excited about this game?